Then, I hear from one of the captains "Everyone has money on their Oyster Cards, right?" Yes, I heard correctly, "Oyster Card". Mine was way back in my room at John Dodgson House. It turned out that today was not a usual run at all. We were to get on a bus to travel all the way out (several miles) to a place called Hampstead Heath on the outskirts of the city for our run. When we arrive, I hear that we are to run a race at 3:15 PM against rookies from other colleges of the University of London to compete for spots on the team. Wait. RACE? I have not run a cross country race in over 2 years! Also, what chance on earth would I have of making a team of 6 for a consortium of colleges with over 150,000 students? Furthermore, I had been spoiled of the relative stability and non-severe slope of paved roads. In other words, I was in no shape to race.
Boy, was I not in shape.
We were to do two 2.5-mile laps around a hilly course of grass, gravel, mud, and roots. Brilliant. Also, it turned freezing cold, windy, and rainy just before we began. Needless to say, I realized how out of shape I was to run this sort of terrain and speed right away, as I immediately slowed my pace after cresting the first hill. I made it through one lap and a bit before my previously injured foot from marathon season began to flare up, and I stopped; I was not about to take another 5 weeks off to heal like I had to back in February before the marathon. I got on the bus and came home.
I had planned on going to Kung Fu again this week with Aaron, but that started at 4:30, and I made it back slightly bruised at 4:45, too late. Oh well.
I do want to keep up with running, and the people are nice, but I suppose I should choose my battles carefully; I guess I should try to get on that email list and know what I'm getting myself into before the point of no return.

2 comments:
You didn't tell us you were sick. What kind of sick? Don't break yourself anymore or you will have to come home. :) Kung Fu sounds like fun young grasshopper. Snatch any pebbles yet?
See... if you were home, I would have made you feedowets.
Post a Comment