Thursday, September 4, 2008

One more week!


Hi everyone,

Things are winding down here in the great state of Connecticut for me, as I begin preparing for my departure next week. I ordered a most vital piece of hardware several days ago; one of those "duck-head" replacements for my MacBook Pro's power adapter so I will in fact be able to use my computer next year with a UK electrical socket. It was about $2.68 with shipping from some knockoff Chinese company, compared to Apple's $45 "Travel Adapter Kit" (scoff). Another tech thing I have procured is an unlocked Sony Ericsson w760i cell phone, that I can load up with a UK-based service provider's SIM card; once I know my number, I will post it here for everyone, though it would be more wise to use Skype to call me, and avoid international long distance charges.

I have only a few more days of work here at MNI in New Haven, and will have my final day on Tuesday, Sept 9. I certainly hope I can survive on the money I have made these past 7 weeks here. Everyone at MNI has been so friendly, and I will miss working for them--though they seem willing to have me back for winter break, if my money situation becomes dire enough.

As for other preparations, I have not yet begun packing, or even thinking about it (yikes!); perhaps this weekend, though I had been thinking about visiting Tufts one last time. Because of the impending Tropical Storm Hanna, this may or may not happen. I have sent my absentee ballot request form, so I will get to vote in the 2008 election. All passport and visa issues have been squared away as well. Basically, all I have left to do is finish out my time at work, and count down the days...
Have a great year at Tufts, fellow Jumbos!

2 comments:

Katie Morganti said...

So, today's the big day.
I think I'm the only person I know who LOVES travel days and long flights. Plenty of food (even if plane food isn't the most delicious thing), comfortable seats, movies, headsets, and time to catch up on reading...what's not to love?
Can't wait for your first entry from London!

Anonymous said...

I got the call at 1:40am letting me know of your safe arrival. "Whew"
Now, Go forth and conquer!